Sunday, January 17, 2016

God is good. I am loved.

We have been talking a lot lately about being made in the image of God--what that means and what comes along with it.  We are working on memorizing Ephesians 2:10 and even added some cool new artwork in their room to go with it:

And a bonus panoramic view of their room because I was playing with my phone.  I love their room and so do they and that makes me happy. :)

Ephesians 2:10 (which is what is on the painting in the middle) says: "For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."  I love the phrase "God's masterpiece" and what it speaks into us self-image wise.  It is perfect for my little artists!  And for Lydia apparently meant many jewels were needed for our "masterpiece" picture frame project. :)
One of the biggest reasons we homeschool is so that we as parents can have the loudest voice speaking into them as their self-image develops, which is a responsibility and privilege that I don't take lightly and one that I want to continue to be more intentional about.
The more we get into homeschool and the more research I do (which is quite a bit, because I just love it), the more I like the Charlotte Mason method.  There is a lot of her ideas that I just do naturally, and some that I am working on implementing more into our days. Her motto for students of "I am; I can; I ought; I will" really strikes a chord with me.
I wanted to see what Noah would say with the statement "I am...", so we did a little finish-the-sentence/word association thing where I told him to finish the sentence I started.  I began with really concrete things that I know he likes, "Minecraft is..."  "Legos are..." and then moved on to more concepts, "Learning is..."  "Family is..." etc.

When I got to "God is..."  he finished it with "good".
When I asked him to finish "I am..."  he said "loved".

Well, my mama heart felt pretty amazing after that.  If he goes through life with the foundation of "God is good.  I am loved.",  I think I have done my job well.

So to anyone reading this, let's all yet again learn from a child and go back to those truths that no matter what is going on around or inside us, God IS good and you ARE loved.

1 comment:

  1. This is a sweet post :)

    I like so much of Charlotte Mason, too. And really enjoy learning more all the time.

    Love the "I am loved." Part. So rich :)

    Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete